What is the BackReleive?
- The BackRelieve is a therapeutic compressive vest that you put in the microwave for heat therapy or in the freezer for cold therapy. The vest simultaneously provides thermal therapy to your neck, shoulders, spine and lower back.
How do I use the BackReleive?
- For cold therapy, place the entire vest in the freezer and once the TDS (Thermal Delivery System) is cool (30-60 minutes), secure the vest to your body and wear for 20 minutes (doctor recommended). For hot therapy, place entire vest in microwave and heat for 50 seconds. Increase heating time by 10 second intervals to reach desired temperature. Make sure not to overheat TDS before wearing vest. Secure vest to your body and wear for 20 minutes. You should always wear something under the BackRelieve to protect your skin.
What does the BackRelieve do?
- The BackRelieve provides thermal (hot or cold) therapy to your neck, shoulders, spine and lower back. It provides pain and stress relief from different areas that may be nagging you. The compressive design of the vest ensures that hot or cold therapy is properly applied to your entire posterior torso.
How long should I wear the BackReleive?
- You should wear your BackRelieve for 20 minutes at a time. Doctors recommend that hot or cold therapy should be applied for no more than 20 minutes at a time and can be applied several times a day (e.g. up to eight or ten times in a twenty-four hour period). You should always wear something under the BackRelieve to protect your skin.
When do I use cold therapy? When do I use hot therapy?
- Heat and cold are the two most common types of noninvasive and nonaddictive pain-relief therapies for muscle and joint pain. Which one you use depends on whether the pain is new or recurring. In general, a new injury will cause inflammation and possibly swelling. Using a cold BackRelieve will decrease the blood flow to the injury, thereby decreasing inflammation and swelling. Pain that recurs can be treated with a hot BackReleive, which will bring blood to the area and promote healing. Apply heat if you have stiff joints or chronic muscle and joint pain. Any cold treatment should be used for 24 to 48 hours after an injury. Cold therapy is good for sprains, strains, bumps, and bruises that may occur in sports or lifting. Wear the BackRelieve for no more than 20 minutes at a time.
What size should I choose?
- The BackRelieve relies on compressive forces to ensure a snug fit and consistent delivery of thermal therapy to the entire posterior torso. Consult the size guide & sizing video to find the correct size to order according to your height and weight. Believe it or not, you could wear most sizes of the vest as it is highly elastic, so don’t be afraid to order a size that may seem “too small”.
What materials is the BackRelive made of?
- The BackRelieve vest is made up of various fabrics, including: polyester, nylon and spandex. The Thermal Delivery System is constructed out of a PVC/Nylon exterior with a non-toxic thermal gel.
Who recommends the use of thermal therapy for pain management?
- Medical Doctors
- Osteopathic Physicians
- Chiropractic Physicians
- Physical Therapists
How do I cool the BackReleive?
- We suggest placing the entire BackRelieve (you can keep it in the Dr. Soothe cooler) in your freezer for 30-60 minutes to cool the Thermal Delivery System. You can keep the vest in the freezer as long as you would like, and take it out when you need to use it. You can also just store the TDS (Thermal Delivery System) in the freezer and place it in the vest before you wear it.
How do I heat the BackReleive?
- We suggest placing the entire BackReleive in the microwave, yes, it is microwave safe! Heat the BackRelieve for 50 seconds. Increase heating time by 10 second intervals to reach desired temperature. Make sure not to overheat TDS before wearing vest.
Can I place the BackRelieve in the microwave from the freezer?
- No, it is recommended that you bring your BackRelieve to room temperature first since heating times are based on room temperature. If you will be frequently switching from one extreme to the other, it may be a good idea to have an extra TDS or complete BackRelieve on hand when needed. You can put the BackRelieve in the microwave after you have worn a cold BackRelieve and it has gone from cold to room temperature. Alternating therapies can be good for many ailments, please consult your physician to see if this is something that would be good for you.
Should I be concerned about being burned by the BackRelieve?
- As with anytime you are applying a hot object to your body, you must be very careful not to overheat the Thermal Delivery System before wearing the BackRelieve. We suggest heating the vest for 50 seconds and testing the temperature, and then heating in 10 second increments to reach the desired temperature. You should always wear something under the BackRelieve to protect your skin & don’t apply heat for longer than 20 minutes, unless your doctor or physical therapist recommends longer.
Can I use the BackRelieve if I am pregnant?
- You should consult your physician to make sure hot or cold therapy are ok, but the vest will stretch comfortably around your pregnant belly and will provide you with soothing therapy while you are pregnant.
What should I do if the BackRelieve feels too hot for me?
- If the vest feels to hot, do not put it on your body. Let the vest sit and cool until it is at a safe temperature for your body.
Can I wash the BackRelieve?
- Make sure to remove the TDS (Thermal Delivery System) before you wash it. If you're washing the BackRelieve by hand, you should use a mild detergent and warm water. Wash it carefully and once it has been rinsed, you can dry them outside (or in a dryer). Keep in mind that the sun could fade the material on the BackRelieve. As for machine cleaning, use warm water and choose the permanent press cycle. Once the washing is completed, you can place your clean BackReleive in the dryer on low heat.
Can I wash the TDS (Thermal Delivery System)?
To clean the Gel Pak, simply wash with warm, soapy water, rinse and air dry.
Are there any age ranges for the BackRelieve?
- There are no age limits for the BackRelieve, it is meant for all ages. Hot and cold therapy is an effective way to reduce pain for people of all ages. We recommend you consult your physician before using hot or cold therapy regardless of your age.
Can I use BackRelieve with blood pressure medications, heart medications, blood thinners or antibiotics?
- We don't have any data on the effect of using the BackRelieve while taking these medications. While we do not expect you to experience problems, if you are concerned about using heat or cooling products, please talk with your doctor and/or pharmacist. They will be able to advise you on your specific situation and determine whether BackRelieve is right for you. As stated on the label inside the vest, you should consult a physician if you have circulatory issues.
Can I use the BackRelieve while exercising?
- Although the BackRelieve is best used pre or post workout, you can wear it while you are working out. It is great to use a warm BackRelieve when you are doing a pre-workout stretch or need to warm your posterior torso up for some more strenuous activity. We recommend you consult your physician before using hot or cold therapy during specific activities.
Can I wear the BackRelieve on bare skin?
- You should always wear something under the BackRelieve to protect your skin
Is the gel in the TDS (gelpack) toxic or dangerous?
- The gel in the TDS (Thermal Delivery System) is completely non-toxic. If the TDS gets ripped, punctured, etc. and the gel leaks out, clean up with soap and water and dispose of the TDS. You can order replacement TDS’s on our website.
How long will the BackRelieve stay hot or cold?
- The BackRelieve has been designed to stay hot or cold for the doctor’s recommended time of 20 minutes.
When can I expect results from wearing the BackRelieve?
- As with hot or cold therapy, you should experience soothing relief within minutes of applying the thermal therapy to your posterior torso.